Monday 20 August 2018

Chapter Two

We set out. Walking along the road felt weirdly normal, as if I had done it many times before. Which I had. Jamal, Christmas and I used to go on many long walks through the colourful jungle. It felt the same, this time, but also somehow different.
A scratching, thumping, dog-like sound stopped us and turned us around. It was a wolf pup, charging toward us, its head bobbing up and down as it ran. It skidded to a halt at my feet and began running in excited circles around me.
"There's something on its neck. Look." Christmas seized the animal by the shoulders and grabbed the something.
The puppy sat down, panting and wagging its tail. It was about the size of a terrier.
"What is it?" I said, moving closer.
"A note." Christmas held it out. It was written on lined paper, torn horizontally at the bottom and tied around the puppy’s neck with cotton string. I took it and began to read aloud.


"Robert, this isn't actually a wolf. It is a full grown lotus fox which behaves like a puppy around wolves, for protection. She will do whatever you tell her to unless it puts your life in danger. She is extremely intelligent and knows exactly where you need to go.
Jamal
P.S. her name is Star."

Star looked at me, panting.
"Alright, Star,” I said, “let's go."
"Let's go," said Christmas.
The going was very easy at first. There was a clear path, and enough light coming through the gaps in the mass of multicoloured vines growing above us.
However, Star soon led us up onto the actual vines, which were thick enough to walk comfortably on, if you weren't afraid of heights, which I am. Sort of.
The jungle of vines had been there for hundreds of years. Why they couldn't think of something more interesting to call it in all that time I don't know. It extended for many kilometres in all directions and was home for a huge population of wolves, foxes, birds, insects, and many other things. Like spiders! The vines came in a wide range of colours, but the flowers were always yellow. The leaves were usually wider than I am tall, which probably isn't saying much.
We walked all day and still didn't reach the end of the vines. Christmas and I were exhausted, though neither of us chose to admit it. The evening seemed so lonely, with no Jamal to give me my hot chocolate, no Jamal to make my bed, no Jamal to check under it for monsters.
I had to express my thoughts to someone, and as Christmas was closest to hand:
"Isn't this peaceful, no Jamal to bring hot chocolate, no Jamal to make beds, no Jamal to check under them for- um, never mind."
Christmas nodded.
"Hmm."
She didn't appear to understand my subtle hints. I was trying to gain sympathy! Maybe she just wanted me to say outright that I was tired. That would be admitting defeat! Gaining sympathy the cowardly way! Although, now that I thought about it, not being brave enough to say I was tired, sounded cowardly. She might not have actually heard me at all.
Star led us to one of the trumpet shaped yellow flowers, which were as big as a good sized tent. The front end was blocked slightly by the pole-like black stamens, which held balls of pollen.


We brushed past them, covering our packs in yellow powder and sat down on the slippery petals which made the floor. Christmas began to unpack her sleeping bag. I felt too tired to do anything but stare at her face framed by her brown hair, which she had tied in a ponytail. Her dark blue eyes and long lashes (sigh).
Her lips, which were pursed as she spread her blanket over her sleeping bag.
I sat there, not wanting to move.
There came a growl from the open end of the flower, where sat a evil looking male wolf, his mouth open in an ugly snarl. His fur stood on end and his enormous tail switched back and forth like a cat’s. This flower must be on his territory. The fact that Star was nowhere to be seen hit me like cold water. Before we had time to move the wolf leapt toward us. I braced myself for his teeth to sink into my outstretched arm. Nothing happened. I slowly opened my eyes. Why weren't we dead or severely injured? The wolf had rushed right past us, and was drinking greedily from a hole at the back of the flower. We sat frozen until the wolf had gone. My curiosity had been roused. Still wondering why the wolf had ignored us, I crawled to the hole with Christmas behind me. Star had returned. I felt her drag at my sleeve and whine. I shook her off and reached the hole. It was as wide as my hand and full of clear liquid. As Christmas and I bent over it, Star began barking frantically. She dragged at our sleeves and even nipped my hand. I am ashamed to say I hit her. I hit her and called her a bad girl. She looked at me sadly and whined.
I turned back to the hole. After that I don't know what happened. I think I drank some of the liquid, for the next thing I remember I was lying on the ground completely disoriented. I was alone, I ached all over and I couldn't see. Someone else might have thought: Oh no! Why did I drink that stuff? Now I'm lost!
But all I thought was: ow.
My sight gradually returned. I decided to move. It hurt a lot. I was not pleased with what I saw. It appeared to be early in the morning. What I could see of the sky through crack in the high canopy was grey. I was in a small clearing surrounded by the giant trunks of the vines we'd climbed through the day before. Or they might've been completely different vines, I couldn't tell.
I tried to sit up. As I lifted my head there was a savage growl from the edge of the clearing. I stupidly (But bravely!) continued to rise. A violent blow knocked me down again. I was face to face with a white fox, perched on my chest. Its claws dug painfully through my jacket. It snarled at me, showing me its sharp white teeth. I heard its tail waving to and fro threateningly. We stared at each other for an eternity, never breaking eye contact except to blink, each taking in every detail of the other’s face. I hardly dared to breathe for fear it would bite my nose off. Its gaze finally left mine as it leapt off me, for into the clearing came another fox, one that looked like Star. The white fox ran to her and bounded around in ecstatic circles. It must have forgotten me. I decided if I was ever to get away, this was the best time. I got cautiously to my feet and ran for it. I ran for some time but soon had to stop. I leaned against a vine to recover my breath. It felt like I had been running for hours. My heart was jumping and crashing against my ribs. All at once Star ran out of nowhere, crashed into me, climbed up my shoulder and bit my ear. Right behind her was Christmas, whose hair had mostly come loose. She slapped me on the cheek and hugged me, relieved and annoyed.
“Robert! What happened? You're shaking.” she said, stepping back and looking me up and down.
“I don't know.”
“I woke up at the edge of the jungle and you weren't there! And Star came and found you!”
“I think it was the stuff we drank last night.”
“Yes, I know that, but what happened to you?”
Star jumped off my shoulder. Christmas looked tired and untidy. I probably looked the same. I put my hands in my pockets.
“I don't know.” I wasn't going to tell her I ran away from the foxes, oh no. You don't go telling people that kind of thing.
“Well, come on, let’s go find our bags.” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment