Sunday 27 May 2018

Realisation

PART NINETEEN
"So this is the hidden city."
"Yes."
Angele sniffed and felt her eyes, still hot from crying, fill again.
"What'll we do now?" She asked Ralf, who had his arms around her.
"I don't know."
She could hear the tears in his voice.
"What's going to happen to us?"
She tried hard to keep her voice calm. The thought of living a life in a cell, a life she had planned to do so much more with, was hard to look in the face without reeling back, trembling.
"I don't know, Angele." Despairingly, then calmer.
"One of the guards said we would probably be kept together so you wouldn't kill yourself."
Angele laughed, sarcastically. "Why would they care?"
Ralf shook his head wordlessly. They stood in silence while he got his voice under control.
"He said we would most likely be executed within a month."
Angele tried to smother a sob.
"Angele."
"Yes?"
"Their leader has the same name as your mother."
Angele tried to laugh again, but it sounded more like a sob.
"Mirabell came and told me she was my mother. I wasn't sure if I had dreamed it or not."
There was silence again, as Ralf gently stroked Angele's hair.
"Ralf?"
"What?"
"I'm going to have another baby."
He kissed her head and held her closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment